Thursday, November 13, 2008

Also losing sleep

I'm losing sleep as well (but not over The Biggest Loser, like some other morons ;).

Now that we have no OT's (except for one working 1/2 days twice a week through Dec) we've begun picking up OT-type patients. I have no problem seeing carpal tunnel or tennis elbow patients but tendon repairs kinda freak me out. The biggest problem is splinting. We have a visiting orthopod on Mondays in the specialty clinic who will send people down to get custom splints made and usually wants them made that day (usually an OT task). I've seen two splints made in my life and that is it!! I, and most of my PT co-workers, have never made splints. How are we supposed to be able to just jump in and make splints like nothing!! None of us are opposed to learning, but we would rather not do our learning but just jumping into the deep end without a lifejacket!

I went to school to be a PT not an OT!!

Ok, thanks for letting me vent!

~Des

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Sounds like someone should be getting their CHT! We have on at our clinic, but I don't think I'd be okay with doing the splinting and tendon repairs. On the other hand...it would be a good certification to have. People are always sticking their hands where they aren't supposed to be! (remember?)