Sunday, June 8, 2008

Crazy Weather

Happy Sunday to all. Not too much on tap here today. It started raining early this morning, and just now let up, at about 11. We've been getting tons of rain lately. At least three nights this past week, we've been awakened by bad thunderstorms early in the morning. I'm getting tired of this!

The Raccoon and the Des Moines rivers are out of their banks here in the metro area. To the east, the South Skunk river is creating troubles for the town of Colfax. We drove to Newton yesterday, and I got to see the sights for the first time. Yuck! Water, water everywhere. The land is so flat between Mitchellville and Colfax, so the water just spreads out for miles!

The paper each day has stories of flooded basements and backyards. I'm in the basement at home now. Dry as a bone. Thank goodness for sump pumps though. Water is running into it like crazy. Hope the power doesn't go out! The power went out a couple of times here yesterday. That rarely happens. This weather is just weird.

Class is going well. The teacher is very lax and easy going. This is just what I needed to ease myself back into school mode. We are supposed to have quizzes after each evening that we take online at home. The prof was having trouble loading the quizzes onto the new online system, so he decided to just nix the quizzes. There are only 4 people in the class, so he is just going to cut them. Sweet!

June is the end of the fiscal year at work. June 30 is also the last day we are going to use our current accounting system. This week, we have training on the new system. I'm really worried. Nobody seems to know how the new system will work, and management does not have any faith in the reps that are selling us the software to train us effectively. Great! July should be a super month.

Mom and Dad's 40th anniversary is today. We are having an open house reception for them on June 21st. I think the plans are coming together, but it seems like we should be doing more. I guess there really isn't anything we can do until the day comes closer. I hope we get a nice turn out. That will really make Mom and Dad happy.

Next weekend we are going to Independence for a wedding. (No, we will not be checking in at the hospital though). My cousin from Jesup is getting married. Hopefully the weather will be nice next Saturday for that. We haven't decided yet if we are going back to Monticello Sat night, or just coming back home. I'm all for just coming back home. We didn't see our moms on Mother's Day, so it wouldn't be fair if we saw our dads on Father's Day. Right?

Yesterday, I read my assignments for Monday's class, and we straightened up the house and ran our errands. Last night we rented "Stand By Me" because Desi has never seen it and "Caddyshack," which neither of us has seen. We're getting caught up on all of the must-sees that we have never seen. Today, there is nothing on the agenda. Mel and Jerry thought about coming to Newton so Desi could put Jerry through the grueling battery of crap at the hospital, but it wasn't going to work out for them. The grueling battery of crap is some new employee screening that Skiff will be doing at the hospital for job candidates in the Newton area to test their physical abilities. I did it first for Desi. It bit! News flash--I would not qualify for a job with high physical demands. Lucky for me, I sit at a desk. :-)

Well, it's not much of a post, but at least it's something. Have a good rest of the weekend, and don't float away!

-Matt

2 comments:

Kati said...

I am sick of rain too!

Olivia's birthday party is June 21st, must just be a day for parties. Let's both hope for nice weather then!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Did you post too early because I just heard you were in Newton and Mel and Jerry were there too! Your folks were here and drove back into the tstorms. What a yuck night. More to come it sounds like.
Have a good week -rah