This morning, Matt's mom called and said that the Monticello fire dept had been called to the Presbyterian church. I called my parents and told them, and they said they would drive by on the way to their tax appt. Mel called back later and said that there was smoke coming out of the doors and windows. Mom and Mel said that some areas of the sanctuary floor had fallen in. Mel thought that the building's structure still looked fine, but there is a lot of fire, smoke, and water damage in the sanctuary and basement. It doesn't seem like the fire made it to the educational wing, but there is still smoke and water damage in that part of the building. Not sure yet what the cause of the fire was or when it started. It was probably pretty well advanced by the time smoke started coming out the doors and anyone outside even noticed.
This is very heart breaking because this is my childhood church. My mom, sister, and I were all baptized, confirmed, and married (Mom and Dad)there. My nephews were also baptized there. My mom and dad and sister still go there. I'm sure it will all be cleaned up and built up again, but it is still sad.
Here's a link to a picture at the Cedar Rapids Gazette
http://gazetteonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008797226733
Here's a link to video at KCRG in Cedar Rapids (the pastor's name is Polito, not Bolito) My dad is the guy talking at the beginning of the story, and my sister, Dad, and Mom are shown watching the fire and shading their eyes.
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/16420376.html
And a link to KWWL in Waterloo
http://www.kwwl.com/News/index.php?ID=22595
~Des
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Hang in there! Hugs to all of you! I stood up there with your Mom and Dad in 1974. I was there for you and Mel when you married 2 wonderful guys. It will be okay. You will get thru this and be stronger than before. GOD will keep HIS promise. Love you, rah
Firefighters got called back out last night for a flare up.
Thanks for the links. I watched the video and saw your Dad and Mom. Have you talked to them today? How are they doing?
Love ya, rah
Post a Comment