Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Beggar's Night

Our second year of trick-or-treating is in the books. We had 122 trick or treaters tonight. I had to handle all of the candy duties, as Desi spent the night dressed up like Winnie the Pooh at the hospital. Hee Hee!!

Even though tomorrow is Halloween, here in the greater Des Moines metro area, we celebrate "beggar's night" on October 30th. The point is for the kids to tell jokes or do tricks to beg for candy. Guess what a monter's favorite fruit is? Boo-berry! What does a monster eat for breakfast? A boo-berry muffin! Why didn't the skeleton cross the road? Because he didn't have the guts! Why did Tigger keep looking in the toilet? To see if he could see Pooh!! Now repeat these 20 times. That was my evening.

I remember growing up and simply saying "trick or treat" to get candy. And we did trick or treating on Halloween night, not this night before crap. Oh well. Some things are different in central Iowa.

Speaking of being different in central Iowa. I found out today that it is a delicacy for people around here to eat roasted pumpkin seeds. I have never heard of this before. When people clean out the insides of their pumpkins, they keep the seeds, and then roast them in the oven with salt and/or garlic. Gross! I want no part of anything that comes out of a pumpkin's insides. Apparently, they taste like sunflower seeds, only sweeter. I'll take their word for it.

Still no word on when the new job begins. My current manager is meeting with my new manager on Thursday afternoon to discuss the details. I'll probably be doing chargebacks for a couple more weeks at least. Oh well, at least I see a light at the end of the tunnel!

Enough rambling for today. Have a safe and happy Halloween!

-Matt

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I don't get what is up with Beggar's Night either...I always wondered how that started when I was in Des Moines. The pumpkin seeds are soooooooooooo delicious! You have to try them! You can buy them in the store, but they aren't as good. They are another favorite snack for the "naturalist" or "organic" crowd.

Mel said...

Jerry and I did the whole save and roast the pumpkin seeds last year. 'Cept we were tards and didn't have a clue whether or not you were supposed to eat the whole thing, or rip it apart and eat the meat inside, so we tried both. To eat the whole thing is like chewing on a twig. Oops. The seed itself it a lot like a sunflower seed...really. It's just green.

Trick-or-treat in Monticello is still the same (no joke telling or tricks), and it's still on Halloween night this year. Hooray for tradition...