Saturday, October 27, 2007

We Have Countertops!!

Well, actually we've always had countertops. Now we have new ones!

They finally came yesterday and replaced the countertops. The day started with the plumbers coming to unhook the sink, dishwasher, and garbage disposal. Then the counter people came and took out the old green countertops and put in the new brown ones. I got home at about 1:00, when they were just finishing up the main sections. They still had to do the little bit between the stove and fridge.

The counter people left at about 2:30, and the plumber bame back at about 3 to hook up our new sink, faucet, our old dishwasher, and new garbage disposal. Cripes-he was here until after 7:00!!! Apparently, our new drains are farther back than our old ones, and he had to run new lines. Then, he said the new sink didn't sit down as far as he thought it would, and tried both clear and white caulk until he found one that looked nice. At least he made the extra effort for us to make it look good.

After the plumber left, we ran for a quick bite to eat (we were starving by that point!). Then, we were finally able to clean off the counters and start re-loading the kitchen. We had taken everything out of the bottom cupboards so they didn't get dirty with the tear-out and install. It was nice to have our kitchen back. And the counters look great, might I add.

We are having fun taking turns spraying things and finding things to throw down the disposal. Our old disposal broke about 3 mos ago (turned it on when there was a tin can lid in it. Oops!), and it was SUPER loud before that anyway (this one is so quiet you don't even know it is on!) We didn't have a sprayer at the apartment, and when we moved in to the house, the sprayer was leaky. All we ever wanted was a sprayer! We are such dorks.

I'm not sure if I'll post pics now, or later when the painting gets done. The painter was here Tuesday evening and took measurements. He'll be contacting us Monday with a quote. Hopefully, he'll be reasonable and we can get the room finished finally.

Well, we better get back to work now. We have the first coat of paint done in Matt's bathroom, and we better get the second one on before the sun goes down. I'll post pics of that project when it's finished.

Later.

~Desi

1 comment:

Mel said...

You busy birds. How 'bout you come and paint the three rooms in my house that need it?? I'm just dreading taking down the wallpaper. So much so that I've left it for almost 7 years! (Shoot, can you believe I've been in that house for almost 7 years??)

Anyway...congrats on getting all of that done! I bet it feels good! I've been reading a blog of a family who didn't have their kitchen for over 4 months due to a major renovation. I think that would suck a bit. Lis and Jer in Cascade didn't have a kitchen for almost a year. They just had folding tables, a pizza oven, a microwave, and a small fridge. And they had to do dishes in their bathroom sink. That would suck a little.

Anyway. My train of thought derailed there. Congrats, and I can't wait to see pictures!