Sunday, December 16, 2007

Another Weekend Down

*Sigh* The weekends never seem to go as slowly as the work weeks!

This weekend was a busy one. Friday evening, we went to a Christmas party for Desi's work. They had quite a turn-out this year. We had a nice meal, and afterwards a local band played some good oldies. It was a nice evening of conversation with Desi's co-workers.

Saturday brought yet another inch or so of snow to central Iowa. Grr! At least it was just snow (no ice), and it was light and powdery.

Saturday afternoon we went to Hoyt Sherman Place in Des Moines for a concert. Jim McDonough (a Monticello High grad) brought his annual holiday piano/orchestra show to Des Moines for the first time. He has been doing these holiday concerts for about six years, however this was the first year that we were able to attend. It was quite a nice show, with lots of piano and singing. Plus, my brother played the percussion in the orchestra. Good job Marc!!

Saturday evening we had pizza for supper at Felix and Oscars in West Des Moines. They are a local restaurant that serves both New York (thin) and Chicago (thick) style pizza. We opted for the Chicago last night. It was awesome!

After supper, we attempted some last minute Christmas shopping. It did not go well. I won't go into details here, but if the Merle Hay Kohl's store would have burned to the ground overnight, I would have done a happy dance this morning. Alas, the store survived, and the chain redeemed itself this morning. We went to the Ankeny Kohl's, I had much better luck.

This afternoon, Desi made some Oreo Balls for Christmas. I did a couple loads of laundry. Now we are just settling into our Sunday evening routine of chatting with our parents on the phone, getting ready for the new week, and reading the 20-pound Sunday paper. Tonight is the Survivor finale. That should be a good one!

I guess that is about all I know for now. Have a good week!

-Matt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun weekend and esp. the concert. Did your folks go Desi? They talked about attending the one in CR. I'd say you had a full weekend. Agreed...the weekends fly by every darn time. We had a good 4" snow. My neighbor did my driveway while I was at church. Nice guy! Ate at Panera tonight. YUM! Have a good week!
-rah

Mel said...

We went to the Dubuque show of Jim. (Ma n Pa went to the afternoon, Jerry and I hit the evening show). It was quite good! It was neat being able to say "Hey, my sister is married to the brother of the guy playing percussion". I never really said it, of course, but it's my "connection".

Gawd, I'm a dork.