Our Christmas season came to an end this past weekend. It was a very nice holiday this year, but I'm glad it's over and things are getting back to normal.
We headed out of Altoona on Saturday morning, bound for the big town of Center Junction (population 132). Desi's Grandma Anderson was hosting her annual Christmas dinner with Desi's uncle & aunt from Ottumwa, and the rest of us. Desi's folks, us, Mel & Jerry and the boys, Grandma Norma, and Randy, Suzie, and Betsy were there for a nice lunch and a good visit. I had a nice time playing Legos with Gary. We built a killer house together. The best part was when he added a helicopter propeller to the roof of the house and told me that it was a fan to blow all of the bacteria out of the house. LOL!! You can tell that boy is being raised by a microbiologist!!!
Shortly after lunch we headed to Monticello for the annual Kray Christmas. Every year, my mom hosts us 3 kids, spouses, and kids overnight for an "old fashioned" family Christmas. Mike, Kelly, Gage, and Leah, Marc & Sarah, Mom & Dad, and Des and I all spend the night. We get my old room with a queen bed and TV, Mike & Kelly get Mom & Dad's bed (HA HA!!), and Marc and Sarah get the little bedroom with a tiny double bed and no heat (HAA HAA HAA!!). Gage and Leah sleep on the hide-a-bed in the living room, and Mom and Dad sleep in their recliners. We always get the best room since we have the unfair inlaw advantage (meaning we'll ruin Mom's Christmas and stay with Desi's folks if we don't get our way).
We arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday (and of course, we were the last ones there). We played a couple rounds of Catch Phrase. That was fun. Gage was a natural. I lost my touch. I used to be really good at that game. I must be getting old, and can't think of what I want to say fast enough. Everyone made fun of me too. Doesn't everyone know that the Pelican is the state bird of Louisiana? I did.
After the game was over, we went to The Heights for a nice supper. It is so nice to go a "supper club" type place for a change. There aren't many of those around anymore. Of course, Mom had to brag to the waitresses and anyone else about how her whole crew was home for Christmas, etc. I think it is the best night of the year for my Mom. She's so funny!!
After the big meal, we went back home for more Catch Phrase, followed by 20 Questions, and a night-cap of Dominos. Boy, do us Kray's know how to party, or what?!?! Gage and Leah wanted us all to get to bed, so morning could come sooner, and the present opening could begin.
Sunday morning, after Mom made her breakfast pizzas, we began opening presents. As always, we went from youngest to oldest and only one person opened presents at a time. That is nice, to make the time last longer and to see what everyone gets. It was different this year, because nobody had gift ideas for Mom and Dad, so they just winged it, and got us a nice variety of stuff. Us boys each got a nice rechargeable flashlight, a magnetic pen set for our desks (since we all have desk jobs now), similar sweaters (all the same pattern, just different colors), etc. The girls got similar gifts as well. Santa even brought a snow blower for Mom and Dad. Of course, now that they have that, it probably won't snow again. All in all, it was a good Christmas for all of us.
After the presents, we all took turns showering in Mom and Dad's brand new bathroom. Their bathroom needed remodeled in the worst way, and they bit the bullet this fall and got it done. It was so nice!! After that, we just vegged in front of the TV for the afternoon. At about 3, we all packed up and headed for home.
Tonight is the perfect night for a long post. Desi is at Bunco, and there is nothing on TV except for caucus coverage. Just tell me who won and spare me the details people. I could really care less if Iowa is "first in the nation" or not. It just means more junk mail, phone calls, caucus volunteers ringing the doorbell, etc. I swear, Barack Obama is stalking us. His campaign keeps leaving literature on our front door, and calling us daily. We are registered Independent for a reason people!! Leave us alone!!!!
Anyway, I better wrap this up. Thanks for reading.
-Matt
Thursday, January 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
And they are all knocking on your door BECAUSE you registered independent!!!
We caucused tonight. The republican caucus in Monti reminded me of voting for student council in middle school. We wrote our choices on a piece of paper, then tallied it up. Max Dirks called in the results. I caucused for Ron Paul, though I don't think he'll do well.
Great post. Thanks for sharing the fun. Have a nice weekend.-rah
Matt-you never appreciate the "first" status until you're NOT first! We caucased in 2004 when we lived there and we are soooooo jealous out here! We can't wait until February 5 when we are lumped in with all the other big states! It's been fun for us to watch the coverage from Iowa, but we don't miss the cold and snow! Then again...I am a political junkie ;).
Post a Comment