Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sore bodies

Yes, we have sore bodies tonight. We spent a good chunk of the weekend painting the kitchen area. Painting a kitchen really stinks! First, we had to remove the lovely (sarcasm) fruit border. That stupid border did not want to be removed! We are very thankful it was just a border and not wallpaper. We have one more border left to be removed, then we can donate our leftover Dif (wallpaper remover) to Mel. Her house is full of wallpaper!

Then we had to tape (I don't trust my painting abilities), patch, clean, etc, to prep. Painting really isn't that bad until you have to do under cabinets, over cabinets, behind the fridge... Leaning on the counters has given us sore elbows and backs!! Wish I knew a good physical therapist! ;-)

We painted the ceiling and can really tell the difference between the new and the old! Over the next few weeks, we will continue into the dining room and living room. We've already removed the border in the dining room. Will post pics when it is all closer to completion. Really, the color isn't that exciting (Canvas Tan-it looks just like it sounds), but it looks fresher. And the peach color and fruit border are gone!! Yay!

We still need to replace our dining room light fixture, and we're looking into some new window treatments for the living room window. We went on a wild goose chase to find a valance for the kitchen window. We tried Target, Gordman's, and Lowes. Nothing. Then we tried (gulp) Wal-Mart. We found one there on display that we liked, but they didn't have it in stock. Figures. Stupid Wal-Mart!! Then today, we checked to see about Martha's offerings at K-Mart. We found a nice sage colored valance there. We got it, and it looks good for now. We'll keep our eyes open for something better, though.

We're not ready for a full five-day work week. We've been spoiled with four-day weeks the past few weeks. Starting tomorrow, I have a student for two weeks. Yikes! Am I ready for a student? Good thing it is only a two week clinical.

Again, we will post pics of the finished project later.

Have a great week!!!

~Desi

2 comments:

Mel said...

Ahhh...Dif. I just pulled my Dif, sprayer, scoring tool and scraper from the basement today. Kati is taking the boys on Thursday and I'm going to try to get the wallpaper off of Brendan's walls before then so I can spend that day painting. We'll see how far I get. It's gonna suck. I dont know how many layers of wallpaper are under the many layers of paint. Gah....

Can't wait to see pictures! I completely remember doing the 2 coats in my kitchen/entry area. Above cabinets, and above my basement stairs sucked the most.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you really worked hard and made lots of progress. Keep up the good job! Will be anxious to see pics. I wasn't that productive. And sure wish this was also a 'short' work week. -rah