Sunday, February 10, 2008

Nothing too exciting (just a long rant)

Weekend is almost over. Bummer. They are always too short.

Yesterday, I had an eye doctor appt at 10 am in West Des Moines. We went to Panera for breakfast (of course) and stopped at the bank. We arrived at the eye doctor at about 9:50, so of course we had to wait for like 20 min. They took me back and updated my history and did the depth perception test. Then I went back out to the waiting room and watched Matt get his new glasses and shades, and I picked out new frames. I decided to get some new glasses. Just something inexpensive (yeah, right) because I don't wear my glasses often. Then I sat in the waiting room for about 1/2 an hour, I believe. They called me back to see the Dr., who checked my eyes with the contacts in and sent me back to the waiting room. Then they called me back to another little room to take my contacts out and do the refraction thing. Then they sent me back to the waiting room. Then called me BACK to the Dr. to dilate my eyes (I hate that!)and check them without the contacts, then BACK to the waiting room for the drops to take effect. During that wait, I paid and told them what frames I wanted. Then 15 min later, I went back into the Dr. so he could check my eyes after dilitation (sp?). Then I had to put in a pair of the new trial lenses. Was then informed that I needed to return in 7-14 days, so he could check my eyes again since there had been a prescription change. ARRGH! If this description sounds really long, drawn out, and boring, that is because it WAS!!! Poor Matt sat there for an hour and a half waiting for me! Absolutely ridiculous! They apologized quite a few times for it being so long because I think they could tell I was pretty ticked. Now I have to leave work early on the 20th and drive from Newton to West Des Moines, so he can look at my eyes for 10 sec and give me a year's worth of lenses.

So, here's the question for those of you who wear contacts: is it a huge, long, drawn out process for you to get your eyes checked and get new lenses? Do you have to go back a week later for a check if you have a prescription change?

After the huge, long eye doctor appt, Matt chauffered me around town running errands since I really couldn't see well. We stopped at the Tavern to have lunch (I don't eat well on weekends!) and headed home. We decided to go to church Saturday night since Sunday was supposed to be so cold (and since we haven't stepped foot in a church since Christmas). Had supper and talked to my mom on the phone after church.

Sunday, we loafed. Did some laundry, organized office supplies, and read the paper. Made a pot of chili for lunch because it seemed like the thing to do on this absolutely freezing day. Wind chills of -20 to -30 this morning.

Have a great week and stay warm!!

~Desi

5 comments:

Mel said...

First off, I want to the first to make fun of you for using "their" instead of "there". (in best Nelson impression- Haa haa!)

Second, the contact exam is nothing for me. It involves a few more tests, but basically all I have to do is check peripheral vision, do the refraction thingie that goes in and out of focus, then he does the "which is better, #1, or #2", then puts painful yellow drops in to numb the surface of my eye to check for glaucoma. Then I get new contacts and I'm out the door. All in all, 15 minutes, maybe?? And no, I don't have to go back after a prescription change. But he still charges like I've been there for 1.5 hours!!

Kati said...

I have never had such an ordeal either. I basically wear contacts all the time, with the exception of maybe 2 or 3 days every 2 or 3 months, and I have never had to go through such an ordeal. I never have to go back, never have to wait, nothing.

Kristi said...

I think last time I had my eyes checked, I did have to go back 1-2 weeks later. I can't remember if I actually did, but I am thinking I did. That was 2 years ago though!

Desi and Matt said...

Their, there... I don't know what you are talking about...

Anonymous said...

I think they like you 'there' so much they want you to be 'there' a lot longer than everyone else is 'there'. 'Their' office sounds insane 'there'.
Who is insane? -rah