Sunday, April 20, 2008

Another expensive trip.

We went to Monticello again this past weekend. Two weekends in a row, and three in the past month or so, for those keeping score at home. We hope to not have to make that journey again for awhile. Gas was $3.45 on Sunday when we filled up to come back home. Yikes!

The reason for this trip was to help Jim and Karen clean out Grandma Lange's house. Dorothy is on a waiting list for a senior apartment, and needed to get a bunch of junk out of her house. This week (Mon-Wed) is Monticello's spring "clean-up" day, so it was a perfect time to get rid of the junk, and throw it on the curb for free garbage haul-away. Karen and her brother Dennis worked on Thursday and Friday, and made good progress in the basement. Saturday morning, Karen's brother Ron came from Peoria, IL to help too. Together, they cleaned out two sheds and the garage on Saturday, and hauled everything to the curb. By the end of the day Saturday, everything was pretty well in order.

Since Dennis was in town, he had the guest room at Jim & Karen's. Des and I slept on the hide-a-bed in the basement. It wasn't too terribly bad. We both slept all night. Maybe the Tylenol PM that I took before bed helped in that respect!

Sunday, we swung by and visited my folks for a bit. Dad asked for help carrying headboards out of the attic to put on the curb. Man, I couldn't escape the junk hauling this weekend. After our visit, we went back to Grandma Lange's for lunch. We got to see Gary and Brendan today. Little sweethearts. We got a late start heading home, but we left about 3:30, and got home at about 5:45. I kind of made up for our late start once we hit I-80. :-)

It was such a nice night that we went for a walk outside when we got home. Then we ate a quick bite for supper. I think Desi is ironing now. Haven't heard anything out of her for awhile. We got the garbage to the curb, got our lunches packed, and sprayed rabbit repellent in the back yard. Those little rascals started eating the tulip leaves. Man, I hate those rabbits!

Speaking of tulips, everything is starting to emerge in the flower beds. Iris', tulips, day lillies, mums, and even the aster is peeking through. We transplanted a bunch of stuff from Delores last fall, and they are coming up very well. (Thanks Ruth & Delores). Now, if we can keep the rabbits out. Maybe we could get a pet coyote.

Anyway, I'm rambling here, and the checkbooks need to get balanced. I better stop now! Have a great week!

-Matt

2 comments:

Kristi said...

What a crazy weekend! I know what you mean about gas though. It's officially $4/gallon here. Even if you don't take weekend trips, the gas seems to go pretty fast just driving around town!

Anonymous said...

You are welcome...glad the flowers are coming up. You know where to get more! Glad you could help with the cleanup in Monticello. I'm sure your help was very welcome. Gas here is $3.49. OUCH! I hate that. Did yard work and putzed. Wish I had tomorrow off too. Oh well, I hate the rabbits too!
-rah
ps-thanks for posting your news! :)