Sunday, April 6, 2008

Good Weekend

The weather was pretty decent this weekend. We had quite a busy one.

Friday night, Desi got off work early, so we headed into downntown Des Moines to walk at Gray's Lake Park. We really miss being closer to Gray's Lake, as it has a very nice trail to walk on. After that we headed home and sat in front of the TV for the rest of the night.

I had a bit of insomnia Friday night. I came downstairs at about midnight, and read until about 2. I was able to finish Double Cross by James Patterson. It was a good one. Thanks Mel! After that, I headed back to bed. I fell asleep a bit after 3, but was still awake at 7:30.

Saturday morning we went to a bank here in Altoona to open a new account. Like Tri-County in Monticello, they offer a reward checking account with a ridiculously high interest rate with no monthly fees. Sweet. Plus, it would be more convenient to bank here in town, instead of West Des Moines.

After the bank, we went to US Cellular to get screwed over. Our contract ended, and Des and I must be the only people in the world that do not have phones sewn to our ears. There really aren't any cost effective phone plans for us. We had an old plan that has 700 minutes and unlimited nights & weekends. Out of that, we use maybe 100 minutes per month. Yes, we are losers. Since we kept our old plan, we were not allowed to get a really cheap phone upgrade. We had to pay $80 and $130 for phones that would have only been $30 each had we updated to a more expensive plan. Grr!! We should have done some cell plan shopping first.

After the errands, we came home to take advantage of the 60 degree day. I raked the yard to prepare for the crab grass preventer to be applied. While I did that, Desi vacuumed the cars and cleaned out the interiors. Then we headed to Ankeny for a free car wash and a lunch at Panera. We also picked up a couple of bagels for breakfast Sunday. Saturday evening, we went to church, followed by an evening walk around the neighborhood.

We had a lazy Sunday morning, reading the paper and soaking up some HGTV (as I've mentioned, we are losers). Upon review of the ads in the paper, we saw a cheap leather recliner couch offered at Homemakers, so we went to investigate. Once we got there, we were told that it was only available in red, so we didn't get it. We also checked out Slumberland, and the Homemakers Outlet here in Altoona. We didn't find anything that tripped our trigger, so we came back home.

Now it is time to do some laundry and get ready for the work week. The weekends go by too quickly! Have a good week!

-Matt

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspect I can beat you in the 'loser' category if we compare weekends! You were at least productive! What did you have to eat at Panera? A chicken bacon dijon???? Are any of your flowers coming up? How is Oliver? -rah

Desi and Matt said...

Of course, I had the chicken bacon dijon! It surely didn't disappoint! Des had her potato soup in the breadbowl.

Tulips are emerging! We can see the leaves from the house now. Sedum, mums, and the aster are poking through as well.

Oliver is perfect!!

Kati said...

Yeah ya losers!! LOL Just kidding. WE have a phone plan with way too many minutes too. Even though I use my cell a lot we rarely come close to what we have.

Mel said...

Holy shit, did we even HAVE a weekend? I can't believe it's over already.

Tree is cleaned up now! Tomorrow I hope to use my leaf blower to blow out the rock gardens and then apply my Preen! That stuff rocks.

I really will blog sometime. Spring is always insanely busy- esp. when my lawn is frickin' huge, and it didn't help that this year every single one of my trees threw up thanks to the ice we had.

Anonymous said...

Desi/Matt - Gotta love that Panera fix! I could eat that sandwich every nights or the potaot soup in a bread bowl! Mel - we will hold you to that 'blog' promise! I've been wondering how your back is? And waiting to see bday pics of Brendan! Blog girl blog!
Love ya all -rah