Just as all of the area school districts in the area are getting done for the year, I am getting ready to start school next week. I have enrolled in Simpson College in their adult learning program in hopes of earning my BA degree.
Back in 1995, I earned an associates degree from Kirkwood, but already had full time employment at the bank, so I never went on to get the BA. When I was hired at SHAZAM, an associates degree was all that was required. However, SHAZAM does have an awesome tuition reimbursement program, so I decided to go for it.
For the first summer "module," I have my class (Management Concepts) from 5:30-9 on Monday and Wednesday evenings. I start on Wednesday, and the class wraps up on July 2nd. I then do not have another class until the fall term begins at the end of August. My first class meets in Ankeny, and some of my others meet in West Des Moines. The main Simpson campus is in Indianola (about 15 miles south of Des Moines). I will try to get all of my classes either in Ankeny (closer to home) or West Des Moines (closer to work).
I signed up for classes back in April. I had an orientation last week in Ankeny, and that calmed many of my nerves. I was able to pick up my book at orientation, and I've looked through it a few times. This class appears to be very boring!! Oh well, it is a requirement.
The best part about all of this is, it only cost me $15. Simpson costs $265/credit hour, but work pays up to $260/credit hour. Work also pays for books and any lab fees. Sweet!! I have to get either an A or a B. If I get a C, I have to pay back 25%, and if I fail, I have to pay it all back. At Kirkwood, I worked two jobs and went to school full time, and never got below a B, so I'm hoping I can make this work too. Wish me luck!
Anyway, today is kind of crappy and rainy. After a bit, we are heading off to Ottumwa for a graduation party for a cousin of Desi's. That will be our only trip this weekend. We will spend the remainder of our holiday weekend right here in Altoona. Church, the video store, and the gas station should be our only stops. I cannot believe these stupid gas prices. Maybe we should get a hybrid.
My Shape Up program at work ends tomorrow. I'm pretty proud of myself. I didn't take any weeks off (we were allowed one), and I have been very faithful, walking an hour for 6 days per week. I hope I will continue to keep up once class starts.
Have a great holiday weekend!!
-Matt
Saturday, May 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Yay for Matt! I am so proud of him!
~Des
Excellent developments! Good luck on the class and good job with the fitness program! I hear you about the gas! We have $4.09 out here, although I saw diesel was $5.03! I have a feeling we may see that sometime though too!
WAY TO GO MATT! On both the BA sign up and the Fitness class! Very proud of you and have no doubt you will ace the BA stuff! :)
Is this Randy's youngest graduating high school? How far is Ottumwa for you? We are at $3.99 so you know what comes next! I've just been putzing. Sun goes in and out looks like rain right now. I fell mowing on Thursday and bruised my left hip and tail bone so having a very painful time doing anything! Every move causes me to grimace in pain esp. sitting and in or out of the car. Now I know how my 90 yr old mother feels every day! Been talking to the neighbor (south) - I'm helping them with their grad. party next Saturday 4-7. I should have peonies blooming by then for a nice bouquet. Well, maybe a trip to Target to get out of the house and walk a bit. Enjoy the looong weekend everyone - rah
Post a Comment