Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Weekend



These are the irises around our shed. They are tall!! They haven't all bloomed, yet.

Hope everyone had a great Memorial Day weekend! Here's a summary of our low-key, but relaxing weekend:

Friday night and Saturday morning, we ran errands. No big deal.

Saturday afternoon, we drove to Ottumwa for my cousin Betsy's graduation party. She will be attending UNI in the fall. Good choice! We also met her boyfriend. Seems like a nice boy. (I can say that because they are almost ten years younger than me!) It was a nice drive down there. Then we came home and went for a walk and vegged.

Sunday morning, we went to breakfast and church then rented some more movies. Three movies for $1.06! Can't beat that with a stick! We came home and started cleaning the bathrooms and that progressed to dusting and vacuuming the rest of the house. It was nice to have that done. In the process of cleaning, I tried on my prom dresses. I have no idea why I still have them but whatever. They actually fit! A little tight around the ribcage, but I could get them zipped up! Don't really think I would ever wear them, though.

Then we watched "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" with Kevin James and Adam Sandler and host of other cameos. That movie was pretty funny in parts but not the best movie I have ever seen.

Sunday evening, we started another movie but stopped because there was severe weather, so we wanted to watch the weather reports. I tend to get a bit freaked out when severe weather is near (total opposite of my sister). We spent most of the later evening in the basement. I had my purse, shoes, blankets, a flashlight, and our little fireproof safe with our important documents in the basement bathroom just in case. Oliver even spent the evening in the basement with us. Sunday was very hot and humid, so we knew something nasty would happen. I'm not ready for summer, yet!

Monday morning, we finished watching "Deliverance." We had heard a lot of references to that movie in other movies and TV shows and wanted to see what it was all about. Needless to say, it was a little bizarre. Monday afternoon, we watched "Wild Hogs" with Tim Allen, John Travolta, William H Macy, and Martin Lawrence. Okay, so it was about four guys going on a road trip on their hogs, and Deliverance was about four guys going on a canoe trip. A few parallels between the two movies. Deliverance was even referenced in Wild Hogs! Weird!

Went on another walk on Monday. It was a little toasty. Then we grilled some dogs on the mini-grill and Juli came over, so the girls could see Oliver again. They are so excited to watch him this weekend. We're excited to go to Minnesota this weekend. Three day workweek!! YAHOO!!!

Matt starts his class on Wednesday. Good luck, Matt!

Have a nice short week everyone!

2 comments:

Mel said...

So true, Dicey. On Sunday night, Jerry and I found ourselves directly in front of (and about 5 miles away) from the storm front that leveled Parkersburg. On purpose. We decided to leave our "perch" when through the crackles on AM we heard "tornado warning for northern Deleware county." They were saying take shelter if you are in the towns of Colesburg, Luxemburg, New Vienna, etc as the storm is heading your way. We were in between Luxemburg and Colesburg and decided it was probably best to get out of there. The storm caught up to us as we were heading south through New Vienna, we drove through some insanely heavy rain and a bit of hail, but once we got to Dyersville, the rain was barely there. Their sirens were going off, though!! Adrenaline rush, Desi, adrenaline rush!!

Anonymous said...

Hope Matt had a good night at class! When do you head north? Have fun. Your shed looks cute! And your irises look really pretty. Nice job!

Mel - are you crazy or what! Being out in that weather! I'm with Desi! In the basement bathroom!
-rah