Saturday, May 31, 2008

Minnesota

Greetings from Minnesota.

Before I blog about our trip, I must wish my lovely wife a Happy 5th Anniversary. It has been an incredible five years.

So, we left Altoona at about 9 yesterday morning, and drove to Ankeny to Panera. Gotta start the trip out right! We were on I-35 headed toward the cities by a quarter to ten. We got to Bloomington at about 1:30. The drive up was pretty nice, only a few spotty showers. It rained pretty heavy in northern Iowa Thursday night, so we got to see a bit of flooded creeks and rivers.

First stop in Bloomington was IKEA. I had only heard about this store, and had never been to one before. It was an adventure. The top floor was a cafeteria where we ate lunch, and a showroom, where you could look at all of the merchadise and make notes on where to buy it. They had different living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, and baths set up and decorated. Then you went to the main level to actually pick up eveything and check out. Quite an experience. We picked up a few things. Everything was pretty cheap as well. Another nice suprise.

After IKEA, we checked in to the hotel. This place is NICE! It is a new hotel, so everything is clean and updated. The bathroom has fancy fixtures, and we have 2 flat panel TVs, one in the "bedroom" and one in the "living room." It is a suite, so it is pretty spacious.

Then, we hit the mall. Man, that place is massive. We hit all of the levels (but didn't do them justice). We were there for about 6 hours. Our feet, legs, and knees were so sore when we got back to the room last night. A little time in the pool felt good!

Today we had breakfast at a nearby Perkins (no continental breakfast here-what a crock!) Then we had a sight seeing bus tour of the Minneapolis/St Paul metro area. That was the best money we ever spent. We got to see so many wonderful things that we never would have thought to check out, plus the benefit of not having to fight the traffic to get there ourselves. Our tour guide and our bus driver were very nice and knowledgeable people. A wonderful experience. When we get home (where the digital camera cord is), we will post some pics!

Now we are chilling in the hotel room, waiting for our dinner theater this evening. That should be a wonderful time as well. Tomorrow, we are planning a trip to the Minnesota Zoo on our way home.

We hope everyone is having a nice weekend. We are really enjoying ourselves here in Minnesota.

-Matt

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 5th Annivesary! Sounds like a really fun trip. Glad you are having a fun time! Be safe on the roads tomorrow.

I'm now home for graduation party number 2. Left the house for the 1st one at 11:15 and home from the 2nd one at 8:15. A long day. The 2nd one was next door and I volunteered to keep their food plates filled so they could visit. Worked out well but I am now very tired. Time for tv and put my feet up. Happy Anniversary! -rah

Kati said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope the weather is nice for the zoo trip. I remember Desi, Kara, and I stopping there when we went up and saw Melissa. That seems so long ago, but it couldn't have been THAT long ago!

Kristi said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you had a good time. I LOVE Ikea. We have gotten quite a few nice pieces from there. It's a great place if you're not afraid of putting things together! It sounds so funny to me to take a bus trip of the Twin Cities, but really, what a good way to catch the highlights! I hope that you had fun at the dinner theater-was that in Chanhassen or somewhere else? Can't wait to see the pictures! I do miss the area this time of year.

Desi and Matt said...

I pretty much said that exact thing to Matt. "Ya know. Kristi would think that we are a couple of morons for taking a bus tour of the Twin Cities!"

~Desi